The autumn 2020 and spring 2021 collection displays a wonderful variety of glasses and sunglasses in fresh geometrical designs along with retro styles with modern innovation. Furthermore, blue light glasses are raging the entire eyewear collection for only one reason – they save you from the harmful effects of blue light rays from tech screens. The disrupted routines of the pandemic have made us spend limitless tech screens hours during online schooling, work from home and dependency on online entertainment. Therefore, blue light glasses have become a necessity more than a luxury. Read on to know more about them:
What is blue light?
Most of us have already read about this back in school science classes. Read on for a recap:
- Sunlight is not one yellow light as we see, but a spectrum of seven light, each one with a different colour – Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red.
- Five of these colours, namely red, orange, yellow, green and blue are visible to the human eye, hence form the visible spectrum. The other two invisible light colours violet and indigo form the invisible spectrum.
- Now, as we move from red light to violet light, the wavelengths of these lights decrease and their energies increase.
- This way, blue light becomes that one light in the visible spectrum that moves with the highest energy.
- This extremely high energy of the blue rays makes it damaging for the human eyes.
Why do we need blue light glasses?
Blue light glasses come with a special technology that is able to reflect back any blue rays falling on them rather than making them pass through the glasses and enter the eye. Here are the top three reasons why doctors recommend to wear blue light glasses and why there has been an increased demand for these glasses in this year:
- To get a good night’s sleep
The sleep cycle in the human body is regulated by the sleep hormone called melatonin. In presence of blue light from the sun during the day, melatonin production is decreased, making us feel more active and awake. During the night, this production increases in the absence of blue rays, signalling our body that it’s time to sleep. It is due to this reason that we feel active during the day and drowsy during the night. Staring into tech screens during the night exposes us to high-intensity blue light that consequently suppresses the melatonin production, thus depriving us of sleep.
- To combat multiple diseases
Studies reveal that blue light exposure is responsible for some of the most prevalent eye defects and disorders in the Uk.
- Cataract: As the blue light rays enter our eyes, these short length waves are absorbed by the eye lens to block them from reaching the light-sensitive retina. However, during this absorption, the eye lens produces some substances that get added to its cells and gradually turn it opaque. This develops into cataracts.
- Macular degeneration: Macula region of the retina stores two major antioxidants for the eye – Lutein and Zeaxanthin. Both of them function to absorb blue light rays entering the eye, again, in an attempt to prevent them from reaching the retina. After some point, the macula loses its ability to absorb any more blue rays, resulting in macular degeneration.
- Retinal damage: Retina contains the rod and cone cells that are able to detect lights of different colours, hence, it is called the light-sensitive screen. When blue rays fall on the retina, they induce some toxic chemical reactions inside the cells that over time damage the retinal tissues.
- For a stable vision
A lot of gamers use gaming glasses or get a blue light coating added to their regular glasses or varifocals for a stable vision during fast-paced games and to view better colours.
- To avoid eye strain
Digital Eye Strain is another extremely prevalent eye disorder among the UK population that is caused due to excessive use of digital screens like a laptop, computer, tablet, smartphone, and television.
If you are looking for cheap glasses on the internet, you can check Specscart’s website for an amazing variety of premium quality glasses at a super affordable price range.